MOSS LANDING MARINE LABORATORIES GRADUATE PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES (PLOs):
1. 1.a Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental concepts in a particular category of oceanography and marine science and … 1.b … be able to synthesize and integrate across all of these fields, yet achieve a depth of understanding in the student’s individual specialty or field of study (MLML specialties include Physical Oceanography, Biological Oceanography, Chemical Oceanography, Geological Oceanography, Marine Phycology, Marine Ichthyology, Marine Turtle, Bird and Mammal Ecology, and Marine Invertebrate Zoology.)
2. Demonstrate the ability to critically analyze scientific research, whether the student’s own research, or that performed by others.
3. Pose relevant scientific hypotheses or questions that may then serve to guide thesis research.
4. Demonstrate proficiency in the design and implementation of experiments or data collection methodologies to address specific hypotheses/questions.
5. Master the skills and tools of data collection and analysis (including analytical and statistical techniques as appropriate) specific to the student’s scientific field of study.
6. Demonstrate the ability to place ones own research within the larger context of relevant field of scientific study and to clearly identify the implications of this research for that field.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication by being able to present research clearly and concisely. This includes thoughtful and thorough oral and written presentation of their thesis and their responses to questions.
PROGRAM ASSESSMENT DOCUMENTS: