MLML will begin accepting applications for Fall 2015 on October 1, 2014. Applications for Fall 2015 are due by February 1, 2015. Please see here for application instructions.
The Marine Science program at Moss Landing Marine Labs provides students with a cutting-edge education that emphasizes mentoring and teaching integrated with independent research. Through our curriculum and research-based graduate program we prepare students for careers in science, education and outreach, conservation, policy and management, as well as the pursuit of doctoral degrees related to the marine sciences. The great wealth of nearby marine resources, the faculty emphasis on mentoring and teaching with integrated research, and the excellent facilities, staff, and marine operations contribute to make this one of the best programs for a Master of Science in Marine Science in the United States.
MLML strives to provide its graduates with:
- An increased depth of understanding in the marine sciences both broadly and specific to their specialty or field of study.
- An expertise in acquiring knowledge within their specific field of scientific study.
- An ability to critically analyze scientific research conducted by themselves and by others.
- An ability to pose relevant scientific hypotheses and questions that may then serve to guide the student's thesis research.
- A proficiency in the design and implementation of experiments or data collection methodologies to address specific hypotheses and questions as applicable to their field of study.
- A mastery of tools and instrumentation for data collection and analysis (including analytical and statistical techniques).
- An ability to place their work within the larger context of their field of study and to clearly identify the implications of their research for that field.
- A proficiency in oral communication, including the ability to present research clearly and concisely.
- A proficiency in written communication, demonstrated by the ability to fully utilize appropriate scientific writing techniques.
MLML seeks to produce a collegial and nurturing environment conducive to the creative and intellectual development of world-class scientists. Faculty who are experts in the areas of geological oceanography, ichthyology, chemical oceanography, invertebrate zoology, phycology, vertebrate ecology, biological oceanography and physical oceanography lead the graduate program, and are supported by a talented professional staff.